The 5 Best High Calorie Dog Food for Weight Gain
The normal weight for dogs varies depending on many factors: age, breed, and sex. Given that, every pet needs to be assessed by a professional in order to get an accurate diagnosis of their health and general well-being. There isn’t one standard weight for every dog so don’t feel too bad if they don’t fall in what is considered to be the ideal range. Check out the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention (APOP)’s chart on the ideal dog weight range.
Tips for Dog Weight Gain
- Change their diet. It’s not just about the portion sizes that affect your dog’s weight. Rather, the components of the dog food that you feed them has more of an impact on their bodies. Look for a dog food that has higher amounts of lean proteins and is lower in fats and carbohydrates.
- Adjust their feeding schedule. Try feeding him less in the morning and compensate for that in the evening so that they’ll store them as fat. Another method is to let them in small portions but more frequently. Splitting their feeding intervals help give them more nutrients throughout the day.
- Do more exercise. You would need them to get moving and burning calories in order to build muscle mass. Doing so would help increase their metabolism, which helps in weight management in general.
- Deworm your dog. Dog weight gain might be necessary because of medical reasons, and one of which is worms. These parasites thrive in their digestive system which inevitably affects their appetite, metabolism, and other important functions for healthy weight management.
- Add dog weight gain supplements. These are packed with vitamins, minerals, and protein that help support muscle gain and the recovery of their immune system. Through these, your dogs will be able to gain more pounds and treat stressors and illnesses that may be the causes of their low weight.
The 5 Best High Calorie Dog Food for Weight Gain
Bully Max High-Performance Super Premium Dry Food
This formula contains the most calories than any other formula in its class. When you feed your dog with this recipe, you’ll feed up to 50% less good! It’s also good for dogs of all ages. It uses real meat as its number 1 ingredient as compared to the other plant-based formulas in its class. If you really want your dog to pack on some weight, this could be your go-to high calorie dog food.
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Canned Food
A great tasting complement to the dry Taste of the Wild formulas, the High Prairie Canine Formula in Gravy will satisfy even the most finicky dogs. A complete and balanced formula, this canned food can also be fed as your dog’s sole diet. It contains bison, venison, and lamb for a blend of quality animal protein sources to meet the needs of your special pet. Peas and potatoes are excellent sources of nutrients but also are highly digestible carbohydrate sources. Tomatoes, blueberries, and raspberries are also antioxidant powerhouses.
Crave Chicken Recipe Adult Dog Food
Dogs want the taste and nutrition of a diet rich in animal protein. Serve them a meal inspired by their ancestor’s diet with real meat, poultry or fish as the #1 ingredient. Made without soy or grains such as corn or wheat, this formula focuses on protein-rich diets for a lean, healthy body and energy to play. It’s also made with no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. Rich in animal proteins, CRAVE Dry Dog Food is perfect for increasing your dog’s energy and supporting strong, lean bodies. Mix CRAVE Dry and Wet Dog Foods together for another high-protein option your dog will wolf down as part of an ancestral diet.
Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost Senior Recipe
Instinct Raw Boost dry dog food combines high protein, grain-free kibble with all-natural bites of freeze-dried raw chicken. This dog food is made with the pure, real nutrition of raw. Raw is natural, made from real meat & whole food ingredients, protein-packed & minimally processed. Made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world. It’s the first raw boosted senior kibble. Raw Boost mixes natural, high protein, grain-free dog food with our freeze-dried raw dog food toppers in one bag. Complete & balanced nutrition for senior dogs including calcium & phosphorus for strong teeth & bones.
Nulo Freestyle Limited + Salmon Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Nulo Limited+ is a higher protein, lower carb recipe specially formulated for dogs preferring a simplified diet. A limited ingredient diet is great for pets with food sensitivities. Plus, Nulo’s Limited Ingredient recipes contain a patented probiotic – the first of its kind to survive the cooking process that occurs when making its way straight to your pup’s bowl to help them with gut and digestive health! Limited+ is made with a single animal-based protein source, which cuts out a lot of potential allergens allowing your dog to get back to basics when it comes to nutrition.
Don’t forget the best high calorie dog food when you’re out for your next purchase! Let us know your experience in the comments below.